Dengue- Symptoms, Prevention & Homeopathy Medicines
Dengue(break bone fever), Dengue hemorrhagic fever(DHF) and Dengue shock syndrome(DSS) spread through Aedes aegyepti mosquitoes mainly in tropical & subtropical countries the female Aedes aegyepti mosquitoes feed on human blood mainly in the daytime & has habitats men made uses water in a container. Dengue virus is 1,2,3 & 4 types. If the treatment didn’t start properly or in the severe condition it can cause persons death.
Incubation period: 3-7days
Onset– Sudden attack. Temperature continues 7-8days
Classic Dengue(break bone fever):
- Malaise & chillness with rigor, coryza, headache, aching pain in eyeballs, conjunctivitis, photophobia, nausea, vomiting, anorexia, extreme backache, leg & joint pain, restless, insomnia, depression, abdominal discomfort
- Tongue furred, rapid pulse then slow & temperature falls to 100 degrees F or low with sweats. -Patients feel better, but after 24-72hrs fever again reappears lasting 2-3days. typical saddleback fever – Morbilliform rash can appear in hands & feet. It can spreads to arms & thigh with itching.
- Pain also returns, bradycardia, leucopenia during the second time of fever & Sometimes mild bleeding comes.
Blood test- Isolate of virus, leucopenia & neutropenia sometime thrombocytopenia within first 5days of onset. Elisa test
Dengue hemorrhagic fever(DHF) and Dengue shock syndrome(DSS): All 4 dengue virus serotypes can cause DHF & DSS.
- High body Temperature, rash-red or purple blood spots in the skin
- Excruciate pain in the eyeball (typically pain behind the eyes) with a headache, myopia, body ache
- Anorexia, nausea & vomiting
- Epistaxis, gum bleeding, ecchymosis, spitting up blood(haematemesis), blood in the stool (melena), menorrhagia in the female.
- Unusual bleeding (nose or gum bleed, small red spots under the skin, or unusual bruising)
- Due to plasma leakage low blood pressure, tachycardia (heart beats faster than normal), narrow pulse pressure
- Sometime pleural effusion, ascites & pericarditis
- Some patient may develop complication- Encephalitis, liver failure, myocarditis, disseminate intravascular coagulation.
- The patient develops cold, clammy skin, hypotension & shock, abdominal pain.
- Leucopenia decreased Platelets Count, thrombocytopenia & raised liver enzymes.
- Chest Xray for pleural effusion
- USG for ascites & gallbladder thicken
- During prolonged shock metabolic acidosis, hyponatremia & blood urea increased.
Prophylaxis & Preventive:
- Drink sufficient water, daily about 3-4 litter
- No proper vaccine is available & no medicine is available to treat dengue but you can prevent it. Dengue treatment is mainly given relieve from symptoms. If the treatment didn’t start properly it can cause persons death.
- Use Insect Repellent
- Use Mosquito net -Destroy Aedes aegyepti mosquitoes Adult & larvae
- In broad breeding places, sprays kerosene with DDT(Dicophane) powder & bleaching.
- Mosquito larvae clean from tracts & swamps,
- Alert to public & dwelling places for mosquito. Once a week, empty and scrub, turn over, cover, or throw out items that hold water, such as tires, buckets, planters, toys, pools, birdbaths, flowerpots, or trash containers. Check inside and outside your home. Mosquitoes lay eggs near water.
- Cover all body with clothes, wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants
Treatment for Dengue :
Homeopathy Treatment will be symptomatic. Eupatorium perfol, Arsenicum album, Gelsemium, Nux vomica, Merc. Cor. , Rhus Toxicodendron, Bryonia, Belladonna, Rhus Venenata etc are very useful Homeopathy medicine. Visit a doctor for proper treatment.
-Papaya, Papaya leaves & seeds are good for Dengue treatment.
-Take sufficient water, if necessary saline & blood transfusion with nursing care. Regular blood platelet count should monitor if less platelet should be given. Oxygen should be given.
Written By: Dr. Biplab Kr. Ghosh Mondal