Normal Blood Sugar level
Diabetes the major health problem affected in our community. Normal blood sugar level helps to determine the patient is diabetes or not. A blood sugar test is a procedure that measures the amount of sugar, or glucose, in your blood.
Know the Range of Normal blood sugar level :
- Random blood sugar test: A blood sample will be taken at a random time. The reference values for a “normal” random glucose test in an average adult are 79–160 mg/dl (4.4–7.8 mmol/l), between 160–200 mg/dl is considered pre-diabetes, and > 200 mg/dl is considered diabetes according to ADA guidelines.
- Fasting blood sugar test: A blood sample will be taken after an overnight fast. A fasting blood sugar level of less than 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) is normal. A fasting blood sugar level from 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 6.9 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes. If it’s 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher considered diabetes.
- Postprandial(P.P.) or two hours after meals: A blood sugar level of less than 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L) is normal. A reading of more than 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) after two hours indicates diabetes. A reading between 140 and 199 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L and 11.0 mmol/L) indicates prediabetes.
- Glycated hemoglobin (A1C) test: This blood test, which doesn’t require fasting, indicates your average blood sugar level for the past two to three months. HbA1c is expressed as a percentage of blood sugar attached to hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells. The higher your blood sugar levels, the more hemoglobin you’ll have with sugar attached. Below 5.7 is considered normal. HbA1c level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests indicates that you have diabetes. HbA1c between 5.7 and 6.4 percent indicates prediabetes. Your doctor may advise for other tests for confirmation.
Low blood sugar Check your blood sugar levels if you feel any of the following symptoms:
- Drowsiness & Lightheaded
- Sweaty or chilly
- Irritated or impatient
- Hungry and nauseous
- Tingly or numb in the lips or tongue
- Irritated, angry, stubborn, or sad
The classic symptoms of untreated diabetes(High blood sugar level) are-
- Polyuria (increased urination)
- Polydipsia (increased thirst)
- Polyphagia (increased hunger)
- Weight loss
Other Symptoms can be feeling very tired, fatigue, tooth gum disease, ulcer, slower wounds healing, blurred vision, tingling or numbness in the feet or toes & skin itching etc.
Risk factors for Diabetes :
- A family history of diabetes
- Obesity – Know how to stay fit & maintain body weight, Click Here
- Physical inactivity
- Increasing age
- Poor Oral health condition- know how oral health effect on diabetic, CLICK HERE
- High blood pressure
- Unhealthy diet
- Impaired glucose tolerance (IGT)
- History of gestational diabetes
- improper nutrition during pregnancy
Blood Sugar Level Test:
- Test on Laboratory: Blood sample will collect by the syringe & tested in a diagnostic center.
- Home tests– You can take blood sugar tests at home with a glucometer. Your home kit will have instructions. The procedure involves pricking your finger and putting the blood on a glucose meter strip & report will show on the screen in 10 to 20 seconds.
- Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM)
Management & Treatment Diabetes :
If you are a diabetic take the doctor opinion, don’t neglect it, visit doctor & follow the advice. Treatment of type 1 diabetes involves multiple daily injections of insulin. Many different types of medicine are available to help lower blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes, commonly given orally. Sulfonylureas, Biguanides, Meglitinides, Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, Thiazolidinediones etc. are the available medicine, visit the doctor & follow his/her advice.
Homeopathy medicine for Diabetes: Arg. Met., Acetic Acid., Belladonna, Helleborus, Lycopodium, Eup. Purp., Acid Phos., Equisetum, Krejote, Nat. Mur., Acid Nit., Lecithin, Sulphur, Eranium Nit., Pancreatinum, Chimaphimla Unb, Chionanthus, Syzyjeum Jam., Ignatia, Nat. Sulph, Uriea, Moschus, Tincture, lower & higher potency. The Bio-medicine is Nat. Sulph, Kali Phos., Kali Mur. 6X or 12X , Medicine will be according to the Sign & Symptoms.