Causes of Obesity
Obesity is a medical & physical condition in which person has accumulated excess body fat to his/her body, that it may have a negative effect on his/her health. Body Mass Index (BMI) is a tool used to measure obesity. Obesity is classified as having a BMI of 30 kg/m2 or greater. Obesity increases the likelihood of various diseases and conditions, particularly high blood pressure, cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, certain types of cancer, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea and depression etc. Know causes of Obesity- effects on health & Prevention.
What is Body Mass Index (BMI) & how it Calculates & Categories?
- Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of relative size based on the mass and height of individual.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) is calculated by a person’s body weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters.
- Body Mass Index( BMI) Categories of bodyweight:
> Underweight = <18.5 kg/m2
> Normal weight = 18.5–24.9 kg/m2
> Overweight = 25–29.9 kg/m2
> Obesity = BMI of 30 kg/m2 or greater
What Are Causes of Obesity?
Eating more calories than you burn in daily activities, causes obesity. Over time, these extra calories add up in your body and cause you to gain weight. Causes of Obesity :
- Excessive food, junk food intake & lack of physical activity
- Endocrine disorders
- Mental depression
- Disease: Cushing’s syndrome, hypothyroidism , growth hormone deficiency etc
- Sex- women are more likely gain weight than men with the same calorie intake.
- Socioeconomic factors
- Environmental factors
- Some medications- Insulin, Sulfonylureas, Hormonal contraception, Thiazolidinediones, atypical antipsychotics, antidepressants, Steroids, certain anticonvulsants etc
Obesity & effects on health:
Mortality: Obesity is one of the leading preventable causes of death worldwide. In the United States, obesity is estimated to cause 111,909 to 365,000 deaths per year, while 1 million (7.7%) of deaths in Europe are attributed to excess weight.
Morbidity: Obesity increases the likelihood of various diseases and conditions, particularly high blood pressure, cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, certain types of cancer, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea and depression etc.
- High blood pressure
- Coronary heart disease, myocardial infarction & Heart attack
- Abnormal cholesterol levels
- Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism
Endocrinology and Reproduction:
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Menstrual disorders
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Complications during pregnancy
- Multiple sclerosis etc.
Rheumatology and Orthopaedics:
- Back pain
- Fatty liver
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD) & Heart burn
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Stretch marks & other multiple diseases
How overweight and obesity can be reduced?
- Take proper diet & increase physical activity- TO KNOW ABOUT IN DETAILS – CLICK HERE
- KNOW IN DETAILS about HOW TO LOSS WEIGHT – CLICK HERE
- Exercise or Cycling or Walk or Swimming everyday.
- Change the moderate lifestyle & positive attitude regarding health
- Weight Loss Surgery- Bariatric surgery etc.