Poor Oral health can cause Heart diseases
As a Dentist, I had seen maximum they neglect there oral health but oral health may take an important role to prevent, maintain & improve your multiple Health issues. Poor oral health is a Risk factor of multiple diseases like Heart Disease, Stroke, Caries, Gum Problems, Dementia, Diabetic, Digestion problem, Respiratory infections, Cancer & Pregnancy complications etc. There may be no direct connection between poor oral health and cardiovascular disease & poor oral health along with other risk factor (e.g. smoking, inadequate body activity, family history & moderate lifestyle etc.) of heart disease can cause heart disease. Taking care of your teeth isn’t a proven way to prevent heart disease, research is going on this but it appears to be some connection between oral health and heart disease- Know about the research & report on this.
- Gum disease (periodontitis) & caries is associated with an increased risk of developing heart disease.
- Poor dental health condition, oral microbes increases the risk of a bacterial infection in the bloodstream, which can affect the vascular system & heart valves. Oral health may be particularly important if you have artificial heart valves.
- There is a strong connection between diabetes and cardiovascular disease and evidence that people with diabetes benefit from periodontal treatment.
A number of theories have been proposed regarding the correlation between oral health & heart disease:
- The bacteria that infect the gums by bacteria, called Streptococcus gordonii and cause gingivitis and periodontitis also travel to blood vessels elsewhere in the body where they cause blood vessel inflammation and damage; tiny blood clots, heart attack and stroke may follow. Supporting this idea is the finding of remnants of oral bacteria within atherosclerotic blood vessels far from the mouth. Then again, antibiotic treatment has not proven effective at reducing cardiovascular risk.
- Rather than bacteria causing the problem, it’s the body’s immune response – inflammation – that sets off a cascade of vascular damage throughout the body, including the heart and brain.
Common dentist advice to Prevent oral & health disease:
- Rinse mouth with water after every food, sometimes use Chlorhexidine mouthwash.
- Brush your tooth twice-daily gently & use a soft/medium bristle toothbrush or you can use an electric toothbrush.
- Use proper toothbrush & toothpaste. Don’t use regular Charcoal. Clean your tongue with a tongue cleaner. Floss once daily & gently massage your gum with your finger.
- Chewing habit of little hard & fibrous food is a good habit; don’t take always soft or liquid food. If you will chew then blood circulation on gum will increase & you can get healthy gum. Take a balanced diet.
- Avoid Tobacco, Betelnut & Alcohol
- Try to get Scaling treatment every 6th month, at least every year one time you should get scaling treatment.
- If you are having caries or broken tooth, ulcer then gets the proper treatment.
- If your tooth Restoration is compromised then get the necessary treatments & if you are using Denture or any appliances in our mouth then clean it regularly.
- If you having caries or simple gum infection then gargle with warm salted water 3-4 times in a day, it generally helps to the infection. Sometimes it may cause pain and then avoid it.
Preventing heart disease:
- Eat a low-fat, high-fibre, take of fresh fruit and vegetables – TO KNOW IN DETAILS ABOUT PROPER DIET, CLICK HERE
- Maintain your proper body weight- TO KNOW IN DETAILS CLICK HERE
- Exercise- Maintain your proper physical activity.
- Quit smoking & moderate your alcohol consumption
- Reduce stress
- Adequate sleep
- High blood pressure & Diabetes keep in control
- Regular doctor check-up
Risk factors of heart disease:
- Older Age
- High blood cholesterol or triglyceride levels
- High blood pressure
- Lack of physical activity
- Diabetes- TO KNOW IN DETAILS ABOUT DIABETES, CLICK HERE
- Family history
- Poor oral health condition
- Some drugs- Cocaine or Amphetamines
- Men are more likely to have one than women