Scaling and Root Planing for gum disease
Scaling and Root Planing is one of the most effective ways to treat & prevent gum disease before it becomes severe. Scaling and Root Planing cleans between the gums and the teeth down to the roots. This the most primary & most effective treatment recommended by every dentist to prevent from gum disease & to maintain proper oral hygiene to prevent from multiple diseases.
What Is Scaling?
Dental scaling is the most common non-surgical therapy to treat gum disease & to maintain oral hygiene, it is routinely performed to help patients with gum disease and excessive plaque & calculus build-up. Supra-gingival scaling help to the removal of plaque & calculus above the gum line & Subgingival scaling help to the removal of plaque & calculus below the gum line. This removal of plaque and tartar from your teeth and help your gums regain health. Your dentist may use a local anaesthetic(LA) if needed to numb your gums and the roots of your teeth, but generally, LA not is needed.
What Is Root Planing?
This is process by which residual embedded calculus or tartar and the portion of cementum are removed from root to smooth & clean surface.
What is Dental plaque & Calculus?
Plaque is the soft depositions that form the biofilm adhering to the tooth surface or other hard surface in oral cavity. Dental Calculus is an adherent, calcified or calcifying mass that forms over the tooth structure & dental appliance. The plaque later on becomes the dental calculus.
DENTAL PLAQUE= Bacteria + intercellular matrix
GUM DISEASE/ GINGIVITIS & PERIODONTITIS
It is an inflammation of the gum structure that if it is untreated can progress to affect the tooth supporting structure later bone that surrounds and supports your teeth can cause periodontitis/loss tooth.
Signs & Symptoms of gum disease: Gum disease generally painless, so be aware of any of the following symptoms:
- Early symptoms will be Swollen & red gum
- Later bleeding gums, dull pain & tenderness
- Gums that move away from the tooth
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste in mouth
- Loose teeth
- Visible or invisible pus surrounding the teeth and gums
TO KNOW IN DETAILS ABOUT GUM DISEASE – CLICK HERE
Types of Dental Scaling: two types of scaling instruments and dentists or dental hygienists are used.
- Scaling with hand-held instruments: Dentists or dental hygienists use a hand dental Scaler and curette to manually remove (scale) the plaque from the teeth.
- Scaling with ultrasonic instruments: It is a water cooler instrument tip, vibrating in high frequency, to remove the plaque & calculus from the tooth surface & periodontal pocket.
Does Scaling and Root Planing Hurt?
It is generally not a painful, non-surgical therapy. Some time you may get tooth sensitivity, while treatment. During the teeth scaling process, your dentist or dental hygienist will numb the gums and tooth roots with a local anesthesia, when teeth scaling and root planing cause very little discomfort.
Effectiveness of Scaling and Root Planing:
- It very effective to treat & prevent gum disease & periodontal problem.
- It helps to remove the dental plaque & calculus, it has been seen plaque can causes loss of tooth structure or caries. So if scaling can help to prevent from caries.
- It helps to maintain your oral hygiene, can help to maintain oral health status & good oral health can help to improve your overall health status.
Good Oral Hygiene is one of the important key factor to stay healthy. Mainly microorganisms are going inside to body through mouth or through nose-by respiration & other part is cover by skin so microorganism can’t go inside. Poor oral health can lead Heart problem, Stroke, Diabetes, digestion problems, respiratory etc. problem. The microorganism which is going through mouth that struck on the mouth & slowly goes inside the body, causes infection. That’s why in this post i will say in details importance of maintaining oral hygiene to stay healthy. TO KNOW IN DETAILS ABOUT CO-RELATION BETWEEN ORAL HYGIENE & GENERAL HEALTH – CLICK HERE