Tooth infection- Causes, Symptoms
The word of tooth infection generally means an infection to tooth structure or in the supporting structure of the tooth. The tooth is set of hard enamel-coated structures with inner portions is pulp containing blood vessel & nerves in the jaws of most vertebrates, used for biting and chewing and the tooth is supported by the gum, periodontium & bone.
What is the common cause of Tooth infection?
- Dental caries or Tooth decay- CLICK HERE to know this in details
- Gingivitis & Periodontitis- CLICK HERE to know this in details
- People with poor oral hygiene & health are more susceptible to any oral infection & dental abscesses due to an increased build-up of plaque & Calculus.
- Loss of tooth structure because of attrition, abrasion & erosion
- Trauma & fracture
- Impacted tooth
- Impaction of food & foreign particles
What are the Sign, Symptoms of tooth infection?
- Dental pain- Localized or Generalized or radiating, Dull or pricking or throbbing. Pain can be radiated to head, ear & neck.
- Tenderness of Tooth- Sensitivity & pain to the pressure of chewing or biting
- Tooth sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
- Swelling & reddening of the gums or face
- A dental abscess
- A foul, bitter taste in the mouth from draining pus, salty pus fluid in your mouth and pain relief if the abscess ruptures
- Tender, swollen lymph nodes under your jaw or in your neck
What can be the Consequences of infection?
- Swelling & reddening of the gums or face
- A dental abscess – Gingival abscess, Periodontal abscess & Periapical abscess etc.
- Cyst & tumor
- Cancer, Osteomyelitis etc.
- Brush twice daily with proper technique & proper toothpaste, toothbrush.
- Rinse water after every food, sometimes use Chlorhexidine mouthwash & use Dental Floss, you can massage gum with your finger
- Also be sure to schedule regular dentist visits for plaque and tartar removal & check-up. Every 6-month visit Dentist for scaling treatment, for prevention of gum problem.
- Fluoride toothpaste or tropical fluoride can be used on dentist advice.
- Eat healthy food, limiting sugary items and between-meal snacks
- Chewing habit of hard & fibrous food is a good habit, don’t take always soft or liquid food.
- Avoid Tobacco & betel nut
- Poor Oral hygiene
- A family history of gum disease
- Malnutrition & Vitamins deficiency
- Age – Gum disease becomes more common in older people
- Weakened immune system – HIV and AIDS or certain, Malignancy.
- Chemotherapy & Radiotherapy
- Malocclusion & Traumatic Occlusion
- Clinical examination- It helps for initial & preliminary diagnosis for a Dentist.
- Investigation X-ray: IOPAR, OPG, Lateral oblique view, Occlusal radiograph taken according to a condition. X-ray helps to diagnose the source & spared of the infection.
To do the proper treatment for Tooth infection, we should know the cause of infection.
- If you have Caries, fracture, sensitivity, compromised filling or tooth attrition, tooth grinding then treatment option is to make new tooth filling
- Generally, when infection of tooth reached inside the tooth then Root canal treatment(RCT) will be one of the treatment options or if the infection is severe sometimes extraction is indicated.
- For gum problem, Periodontal treatment is indicated.
- If you are having Impacted tooth then Extraction is indicated.
- If there is an abscess, then abscess drainage is very important.
- If you are an adult person having dental pain & don’t have any other disease then temporary one Paracetamol 500mg tablet you can take, for temporary relief. With this proper antibiotic dose is needed. If you have any dental problems then visit Dentist immediately.
An abscess is a pocket of pus that accumulates when a bacterial infection breaks down tissue & this pus containing dead white blood cells & microbes with tissue debris and serum. The resulting build-up of pus is usually very painful. A dental abscess can be caused by any dental infection. Gingival abscess, Periodontal abscess & Periapical abscess are a common dental abscess.
Sign & Symptoms of a Dental abscess – Pain, Swelling, reddening of the gums or face, fever, tender, a foul, bitter taste in the mouth from draining pus, salty pus fluid in your mouth and pain relief if the abscess rupture & swollen lymph nodes under your jaw or in your neck etc.
Written By: Dr. Anuran Ghosh Mondal
Mob: +91 9432580313