Tooth infection Home remedy- advised by a Dentist
Tooth infection generally means an infection to tooth structure or in tooth-supporting structures, know about Tooth infection Home remedy. The tooth is set of hard enamel-coated structures with inner portions is pulp containing blood vessel & nerves in the jaws of most vertebrates, used for biting and chewing and the tooth is supported by the gum, periodontium & bone.
What is the common cause of tooth infection?
- Dental caries or Tooth decay- CLICK HERE to know this in details
- Gingivitis & Periodontitis- CLICK HERE to know this in details
- Pericoronitis & Impacted tooth
- People with poor oral hygiene & health are more susceptible to any oral infection & dental abscesses due to an increased build-up of plaque & Calculus.
- Loss of tooth structure because of attrition, abrasion & erosion
- Trauma & fracture
- Impaction of food & foreign particles
What are the Sign, Symptoms of tooth infection?
- Dental pain- Localized or Generalized or radiating, Dull or pricking or throbbing. Pain can be radiating to head, ear & neck.
- Tenderness of Tooth- Sensitivity & pain to the pressure of chewing or biting
- Tooth sensitivity or tooth pain to hot and cold temperatures
- Swelling & reddening of the gums or face
- Trismus or Restricted mouth opening
- Tender, swollen lymph nodes under your jaw or in your neck
- Dental abscess
- A foul, bitter taste in the mouth from draining pus, salty pus fluid in your mouth and pain relief if the abscess ruptures
What can be the consequences of infection?
- Swelling & reddening of the gums or face
- Loss of tooth
- A dental abscess – Gingival abscess, Periodontal abscess & Periapical abscess etc.
- Cyst & tumor
- Cancer, Osteomyelitis etc.
Prevention of tooth infection:
- Brush twice daily with proper technique & proper toothpaste, toothbrush.
- Rinse water after every food, sometimes use Chlorhexidine mouthwash & use Dental Floss, you can massage gum with your finger
- Also, be sure to schedule regular dentist visits for plaque and tartar removal & check-up. Every 6-month visit Dentist for scaling treatment, for prevention of gum problem.
- Fluoride toothpaste or topical fluoride can be used on dentist advice.
- Eat healthy food, limiting sugary items and between-meal snacks
- Chewing habit of hard & fibrous food is a good habit, don’t take always soft or liquid food.
- Avoid Tobacco & betel nut
- Poor Oral hygiene
- A family history of gum disease
- Malnutrition & Vitamins deficiency
- Age – Gum disease becomes more common in older people
- Weakened immune system – HIV and AIDS or certain, Malignancy.
- Chemotherapy & Radiotherapy
- Malocclusion & Traumatic Occlusion
Tooth infection Home remedy:
- Salt water rinse: Rinsing your mouth with warm salt water is an easy and affordable option for temporary relief; it may help to clean and washout the tooth infection. It can also help to promote wound healing and healthy tooth gums.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of normal table salt with 1 cup of warm tap water.
- Rinse your mouth very nicely with this warm salt water Spit the water out.
- Continue this procedure 4-5 times in a day.
2. Alum: Take 1 cup of warm water then mix very little alum & rinse your mouth very nicely can give you temporary relief from the infection. Continue this procedure 4-5 times in a day.
3. Clove essential oil: It may have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take a small cotton ball then add 3 to 5 drops of essential oil on it.
- Apply this cotton on caries(infected) tooth, it can help you get relief from toothache.
- You can also use commercially available Colgate Pain out.
NOTE: Above mentioned Tooth infection Home remedy can give you temporary relief, In case of tooth infection, don’t neglect it immediately visit your nearest dentist for proper treatment & to save your tooth.
Treatment option for tooth infection by a Dentist:
- To get the proper treatment for Tooth infection, we should know the cause of infection. Tooth infection Home remedy can give you temporary relief visit to your nearest Dentist for proper treatment.
- If you have Caries, fracture, sensitivity, compromised filling or tooth attrition, tooth grinding then treatment option is to make new tooth filling
- Generally, when infection of tooth reached inside the tooth then Root canal treatment(RCT) will be one of the treatment options or if the infection is severe sometimes an extraction is indicated.
- For gum problem, Periodontal treatment is indicated.
- If you are having Impacted tooth then Extraction is indicated.
- If there is an abscess, then abscess drainage is very important.
- If you are an adult person having dental pain & don’t have any other disease then temporary one Paracetamol 500mg tablet you can take, for temporary relief. With this proper antibiotic dose is needed. If you have any dental problems then visit Dentist immediately.
Common cause of tooth infection?
Dental Caries, Gum Disease, Pericoronitis & Impacted tooth, Loss of tooth structure because of attrition, abrasion, erosion. Trauma & fracture etc.
Consequences of infection?
Dental pain, Swelling & reddening of the gums or face
Loss of tooth, dental abscess, Cyst & tumor
Cancer, Osteomyelitis, infection to other part of the body etc.
Causes of Dental Pain?
Dental Caries, Tooth Gum disease, Tooth infection, Trauma, Loss of tooth structure
Tooth infection Home remedy?
There are multile tecniques where may reduce your tooth infection, use Salt water rinse, Alum, Clove essential oil etc. know in details.
Can I Prevent tooth Infection?
Yes you can, maintain proper oral hygeine, also, be sure to schedule regular dentist visits for check-up, plaque and tartar removal & every 6th months get Scaling treatment.
Written by: Dr. Anuran Ghosh Mondal