Tooth sensitive to cold- know Dentist Advice & Treatment
When you take a cold drink, ice cream & cold item then you are getting a painful experience like tooth Sensitivity- Tooth sensitive to cold?? Then know the cause & do the proper treatment on time to save your tooth. Don’t think Sensitivity is a disease, these symptoms of a disease. As a Dentist my experiences are few people are using Sensitivity toothpaste after seeing the commercial advertisement in TV or Newspaper & few are get temporary relief from sensitivity; even they don’t know how to use this toothpaste. But to get permanent relief & to protect the teeth solve the cause of sensitivity.
When Tooth Sensitivity (Dentin Hypersensitivity) Happen?
Tooth sensitivity usually causes When the second layer of tooth structure Dentin(See Pic.1) is exposed, then it causes tooth sensitivity. In Dentin one of the important structures is Dentinal Tubule. Dentinal Tubule(See Pic.2) is a tube or canal-like structure which present inner to outer side direction of the tooth, when it exposed then impulse from outside, it irritates the inner structure of tooth pulp & causes tooth sensitivity. If it is not treated on time then later can cause dental pain & tooth loss.
Know-How Sensitivity toothpaste Stops the Tooth Sensitivity:
Generally when Dentinal Tubule is exposed then tooth sensitive to cold is noticed, the impulse from outside, it irritates the inner structure of tooth pulp & causes tooth sensitivity. Commonly Potassium nitrate or strontium chloride used in to stop sensitivity. It is used to block the Dentinal tubule (See Pic.2) & temporary reliefs from tooth sensitivity. To know in details about different toothpaste & function-click here.
How Dentin or Dentinal Tubule is exposed:
- Tooth Cavity or dental caries
- Tooth gum disease-Gingivitis & Periodontitis- Root is Exposed
- Loss of tooth structure, which can be due to Tooth Attrition, Erosion, Abrasion, trauma & Tooth Grinding.
- Fractured teeth
- Compromised tooth restoration or broken restoration
- Due to some poorly restored metal filling.
- Exposed tooth root etc.
Risk Factor of Tooth Sensitivity:
NOTE: Tooth gum disease is one of the common dental problems in our society. Tooth gum disease causes due to lack of oral hygiene maintenance. What we eat, that food particles accumulate on & in between the tooth which causes irritation to the tooth gum & gum diseases. To clean these food particles daily proper tooth brushing & every 6-th month(at least yearly once) Scaling treatment is strongly recommended. Scaling treatment can help to clean the calculus & help to maintain proper oral hygiene, which can give health tooth gum, healthy tooth & good overall health- Click here to know about the importance of good oral health(good oral health may help you to good overall health.
- Malocclusion of teeth- can cause traumatic tooth occlusion can cause Tooth Attrition
- Bruxism, tooth grinding habit
- Poor oral hygiene & maintenance
- Hard brush use or Hard pressure during brush, improper brushing technique. TO KNOW THE PROPER BRUSHING TECHNIQUE- CLICK HERE
- Enamel hypoplasia
- Tobacco, Gutka, Betel nuts & alcohol- which may cause tooth Erosion & Abrasion
- Diabetics can cause gum problems, TO KNOW IN DETAILS ABOUT DIABETICS- CLICK HERE
- Old age
- Improper nutrition & Calcium deficiency
- Hereditary- it can effect & cause caries, tooth abnormally, gum problems etc.
Prevention of Tooth Sensitivity:
- Brush twice daily with a soft bristle. Don’t use a hard toothbrush. Don’t use Charcoal to clean the tooth, use proper toothpaste.
- Brush gently- Use a proper tooth brushing technique & don’t give excess pressure while brushing your tooth.
- Rinse with water after every food & sometimes use a good Chlorhexidine mouthwash with water.
- If you are having Malocclusion then gets the treatment.
- For bruxism or tooth grinding habits- stop tooth grinding by psychological management & can use ‘Nightguard tooth appliance’ to stop tooth Attrition.
- Schedule regular dentist visits for plaque and tartar removal. Every 6-month visit Dentist for scaling treatment, for prevention of dental & general health problems.
- Floss once daily & massage gum with your finger.
- Chewing habit of bit hard & fibrous food is a good habit; don’t take always soft or liquid food.
- Take balanced diet & vegetables- Proper nutrition is important.
- Topical Fluoride can be used, ask your Dentist-use as your Dentist advice.
- Avoid Tobacco, Gutka, Betel nuts & Alcohol
Treatment of Tooth sensitive to cold:
Tooth Sensitivity toothpaste closes the opening of Dentinal tubules, so impulse or irritation can’t go inside & temporarily stop the tooth Sensitivity, but permanently it’s not cured. So, as a Dentist I will suggest you do the proper treatment, solve the cause of sensitivity & that will give you the permanent solution. If you have Caries, fracture, compromised filling or tooth attrition, erosion then treatment option can be new tooth filling Or Root canal treatment- treatment will be depending upon tooth condition. For gum problem, periodontal treatment is indicated. If you are getting tooth sensitivity then immediately visit a Dentist.
Tooth sensitive to cold is a symptom of a disease. Don’t neglect this problem. Don’t take treatment on your own, take specialist advice. If you take the correct treatment at the correct time then easily you can protect your tooth, if you getting tooth sensitivity immediately take specialist advice. So to get permanent relief & do the proper treatment, know the cause of sensitivity, treat the disease & automatically you will get relief from symptoms of tooth sensitivity.
Causes of Tooth Sensitivity?
Tooth sensitivity usually causes When the second layer of tooth structure Dentin is exposed, then it causes tooth sensitivity. It can be exposed because of various reasons.
How Dentin is exposed?
It can be exposed because of Dental Caries, Tooth attrition, erosion, abrasion, trauma or gum diseases.
How can i stop tooth sensitivity?
If you will use anti sensitivity toothpaste then you can get temporary relief. If you take the correct treatment at the correct time then easily you can protect your tooth, take specialist advice to get permanent relief.
Written By– Dr. Anuran Ghosh Mondal
Mob: +91 9432580313