Yellow Teeth- Know Cause, Prevention & Treatment
As a Dentist, I am getting a common statement of a patient is that “every day I am brushing, but why the tooth is becoming yellow & why tooth stain is coming on my tooth, please prescribe a good toothpaste & how to remove this, it’s looking ugly, I want white tooth”. In this article, I will discuss yellow Teeth causes, prevention & treatments.
Know about the different type of tooth stains:
Extrinsic tooth Stain:
This is a stain on the external surface of the tooth. External are common and have many different causes some extrinsic discolourations that are allowed to remain for a long time may become intrinsic.
- Dental Plaque & Calculus: Your mouth is full of bacteria that combine with saliva to form a sticky film known as plaque, which builds up on your teeth. This plaque later becomes hard on the tooth, its call Calculus.
- Tobacco & Betel: It causes a yellow-brown-black stain around a tooth.
- Tea & Coffee: If you take more tea & coffee, It causes a brown-black stain around the tooth
- Some topical medications: Chlorohexidin mouthwash, Cetylpyridinium chloride
- Some Colorful food or drink item
Intrinsic tooth Stain:
This is a stain on the inner portion of the tooth. Some intrinsic stains come at the time of tooth development sometimes it comes later.
- Fluorosis: So much intake of fluoride can lead to dental fluorosis, a condition that causes white spots or lines on the teeth. Dental fluorosis only affects children whose permanent teeth are still forming beneath the gum line. A common cause of fluorosis is excess fluoride level of drinking water in some areas.
- Amalgam Tooth restoration
- Pulp necrosis & internal resorption
- Genetic disorder- Amelogenesis imperfecta, Dentinogenesis imperfecta, Enamel hypoplasia and enamel hypo calcification, Thalassemia and sickle cell anaemia
- Tooth Intrinsic Stain
- Age-Related Teeth Stains: With age, tooth gets discoloured.
Causes of Yellow Teeth:
- Improper tooth cleaning, wrong tooth brushing technique.
- Improper tooth cleaning for malocclusion/ Misaligned teeth.
- Poor Oral hygiene maintenance- Dental plaque & Calculus built-up.
- Excessive intake of tea, coffee & wine.
- Smoking or chewing tobacco also causes teeth to yellow. If you smoke or chew tobacco more or for a long time expect your teeth to go from yellow to brown to dark brown.
- Loss of tooth outer layer. Your teeth have two layers: a hard outer layer called enamel that looks white, and a softer inner layer called dentin that’s more yellow. As your teeth age, your enamel gets thinner, and because it’s semi-transparent, the dentin underneath starts to show, making your teeth look yellow.
- colourful food or drinks item
- Rinse your mouth with water after every food.
- Brush gently twice-daily in proper technique with a soft/medium bristle or electric brush. Don’t use a hard brush. Use toothpaste. Don’t use Charcoal to clean the tooth. If you want to know How to main Oral hygiene & Brushing Technique -Click Here
- Gargle with warm salted water regularly. Sometimes use Chlorhexidine mouthwash.
- Floss once daily
- Also be sure to schedule regular dentist visits for plaque and tartar removal. Every 6 month visit Dentist for scaling treatment, for prevention of dental & general health problems.
- If you are having malocclusions then get the treatment.
- Avoid Tobacco, Betel, Alcohol
- Avoid colourful food
Treatments yellow Teeth Stains:
For normal extrinsic tooth stain first Scaling is recommended, then if want more white tooth then bleaching can be an option. Tooth bleaching can give you white tooth. But tooth bleaching is not always indicated; sometimes tooth bleaching can cause other side effects. To remove intrinsic stain or excessive yellow Teeth stains commonly tooth Composite tooth Veneering, Metal Ceramic or Full ceramic Veneering or Crown is indicated. White tooth can gives you bright smile.
Written By- Dr. Anuran Ghosh Mondal