Tooth ache or Dental Pain
Tooth ache is that pain felt around the teeth or jaws resulting from a dental condition. Tooth ache or dental pain most commonly migrate to Head & Ear. You may experience tooth ache, whether sharp and throbbing or dull and ache, it can be difficult to bite and chew, concentrate, get through the day, even sleep at night. While most cases of toothaches are caused for tooth or gum problems, there are cases when disorders of the jaw joint can cause toothache. Sinus infection can also mimic a toothache. I will discuss on different tooth pain, cause, prevention & treatments.
When does the tooth ache or dental pain??
Tooth ache because of infections. Commonly teeth get infected because of tooth caries & for tooth grinding. When the caries or tooth grinding progression reached to tooth’s second structure Dentin it can cause Tooth Sensitivity. If it progressed more, than its reached to Pulp-most inner part of tooth, causes pain & Infection its can lead to tooth abscess, cyst. Other cause is gum infection.
Causes of Dental pain:
Tooth Decay & Tooth grinding: Tooth decay is just another word for a cavity. Tooth decay occurs when plaque, the sticky substance that forms on teeth. The sugars and/or starches of the food what we eat, with the help of microorganism this combination produces forms acids that attack tooth enamel causes Tooth Caries. If left untreated, the disease can lead to pain, tooth loss structure and infection. If it is allowed to move even further inwards, it can lead to severe pain as it hits the nerve.
Gum Disease: Gum is the supporting & which surrounding tooth. Gum disease, also known as Gingivitis & Periodontist, is an infection of the gums that surrounding the teeth structure. It is also one of the main causes of bleeding gum & tooth loss among adults. There are two major stages of Gum disease: Gingivitis and Periodontitis. From the gum infection goes inside and then it causes pain. Commonly gum infection causes Tenderness of tooth or dull pain on the tooth. Details about Gum disease it’s written in my other article, if you want to know details read that.
Tooth Fracture: Expose of Pulp & Dentin can cause tooth pain.
Impacted Tooth & tooth Eruption: Impacted 3rd molar wisdom Tooth pain is most common problem 18yrs-25yrs of age group people. Also tooth eruption can causes pain.
Food or any particle Impaction or Any Trauma
Compromised Tooth Restoration
Improper Brushing or Flossing
Orthodontic Treatment: when Braces, retainers, and other dental alignment systems are used of Orthodontic treatment it cause for oral discomfort and aching pain among teeth. Pain is usually fairly noticeable right after adjustments which tighten or move teeth, but typically subsides after a few days.
“PREVENTION IS BETTER THEN CURE”
Prevention & Tips:
- Brush gently twice-daily in proper technique with a soft/medium bristle or electric brush. don’t use hard brush. Use tooth paste. Don’t use Charcoal to clean tooth. Rinse water after every food
- Gargle with warm salted water regularly. Sometime use Chlorhexidine mouthwash.
- Floss once daily & you can massage gum with your finger.
- Also be sure to schedule regular dentist visits for plaque and tartar removal. Every 6 month visit Dentist for scaling treatment,for prevention of dental & general health problems.
- Chewing habit of normal hard & fibrous food is a good habit, don’t take always soft or liquid food. Take balanced diet & vegetables. proper nutrition needed.
- Tropical Fluoride can used to prevent tooth caries after advice of Dentist.
- Avoid Tobacco, Alcohol
- If you are having malocclusion then get the treatment. For bruxism,to stop tooth grinding you can use ‘Night guard tooth appliance’ & other.
To do the proper treatment for tooth ache or dental pain, we should know the source of pain. If you have Caries, fracture, sensitivity,compromised filling or tooth attrition, tooth grinding then treatment option is make new tooth filling Or Root canal treatment. For gum problem Periodontal treatment is indicated. If you are having Impacted tooth then Extraction is indicated. If you are adult person having dental pain & don’t have any other disease then temporary one Paracetamol 500mg tablet you can take, for temporary relief. If you have this problem then visit Dentist immediately.
Written By- Dr. Anuran Ghosh Mondal
Mob: +91 9432580313