Wisdom tooth pain – best Advice by Dentist
Wisdom tooth pain is a very common problem at age of 19-26years, but this problem can come at any age(after 17years) if the 3rd molar tooth is impacted or partially impacted. You may get a very painful experience for wisdom tooth; this pain can commonly migrate to Head, Ear, and neck. If may experience tooth pain, whether sharp and throbbing or dull and ache, with swelling, it can be difficult to bite and chew, concentrate, get through the day, even sleep at night.
What is Wisdom tooth?
Wisdom teeth grow in at the back of the mouth upper and lower jaw, behind your molars, it’s the 3rd & last molar tooth. A wisdom tooth can cause pain at the time of eruption or if it is impacted or partially impacted.
What is Impacted Tooth?
Impacted tooth a tooth, which got blocked inside the gum line & it’s an un-erupted tooth. Any tooth can be impacted; patients frequently develop problems with impacted 3rd molar (wisdom) teeth. These teeth get stuck in the back of the jaw and didn’t get a place to erupt can develop painful infections.
Why Wisdom tooth cause pain?
• When it erupts it pierced the gum causes pain.
• When it erupts it gives a pressure to the adjacent tooth causes pain.
• If 3rd molar is impacted then it trying to erupt & different tooth movement is noticed, this gives pressure to side tooth & causes pain.
• In case of a partially impacted tooth, gum is overlapping on the tooth forms a pocket in between gum & tooth. In this pocket, food and microorganism struck inside- causes infection, pain & swelling.
• A very common problem related to wisdom tooth is cheek bite, causes an ulcer (traumatic ulcer), pain & other complication.
Common Classification of impacted tooth: Depending on the angulation the tooth might be classified as:
Wisdom tooth pain & other Symptoms: It can include:
- Pain can commonly migrate to Head, Ear, and neck
- Swelling of the gum, face & overlying tissue after getting an infection
- Swelling, Pus formation & difficult to swallow
- Difficulty opening your jaw, Pain when you open your mouth
- Bad breath or Halitosis
- A bad taste in the mouth
- Pain when chewing or biting
- Pain can occur for few days and then disappear. It can come back.
- Swelling & tenderness of gland
- Sometime it may cause Abscess and Tumour and cyst
What are the Consequences of Impacted teeth?
• Pain & Swelling
• It can badly affect the adjacent tooth, can cause caries, infection & pain.
• Trismus – Difficulty opening your jaw, it also can cause Paresthesia(Numbness of some area).
• Sometime it may cause Abscess and Tumour and cyst. A chronic traumatic ulcer can cause Cancer or any other infection & complication.
Diagnosis of Wisdom Tooth Pain :
• Clinic Diagnosis- Your dentist will examine the problem area.
• A doctor will take X-rays. Small IOPAR X-rays or OPG X-ray is Generally advised. It can show where your wisdom teeth are and if they are impacted or not.
Treatments of Wisdom tooth pain :
• Advised to rinse with warm salted water 3-4times/day.
• Betadine or Chlorhexidine mouthwash can be used with warm salted water & rinse twice daily for 1week. It helps to reduce infection so fast.
• If you are facing a problem with your Wisdom tooth then immediately visit Dentist for proper treatment.
• Tab Paracetamol 500 MG + Aceclofenac 100 MG(this is adult dose, for a normal person) helps to reduce the pain temporary. With this proper Antibiotic, the dose is needed.
• Treatment will be depending on condition, diagnosis & age of the patient. If a tooth is partially impacted & gum is overlapping on tooth then gum can be surgically removed, it can help to reduce the problems. If any wisdom tooth causes chronic trauma(Traumatic Ulcer), then get the proper treatment, any chronic trauma later can cause Cancer or any other infection & complication.
• If a wisdom tooth is creating a problem and if a tooth is impacted or partially impacted & if it is inside the bone then permanent treatment will be the surgical removed the wisdom tooth.
Some tips to get relief from Pain, Infection & Swelling?
- Don’t apply the any hot sponge from outside, it may increase swelling.
- Cold climate or cold application may increase the pain.
- Clean the area properly & maintain oral hygiene.
- If you are having tooth pain then take soft & warm food.
- Generally 3rd molar erupts at the age of 17-23 years of age. Initially when it is erupting it may cause pain, no need to worry, rinse with warm salted water 3-4times/day or use Betadine or Chlorhexidine mouthwash twice daily for 1week & can take Tab Paracetamol 500 MG(adult dose) after food can give you temporary relief.
- If the pain is coming frequently or severe or if there is no space of 3rd molar tooth eruption, then extraction is indicated & it can give you permanent relief from the pain.
Conclusion: Wisdom tooth can be very painful, pain can migrate to head, ear & neck. Treatment will be depending on the age, condition & diagnosis. Rinse with warm salted water or use Betadine or Chlorhexidine mouthwash twice daily for 1week, it helps to reduce infection can get relief. Wisdom can badly effect on adjacent tooth, so don’t neglect it.
Written By: Dr. Anuran Ghosh Mondal
Mob: +91 9432580313